The Avro 504 was an easy to fly, versatile aircraft which was used as a fighter, light bomber, and scout. It was soon replaced by more maneuverable planes, but continued to be used as a trainer throughout the war.
Several different versions were produced with slight variations in the engines and control surfaces. A single seat version was produced with an extra fuel tank for longer range flights. The skid at the front of the plane prevents the propeller from hitting the ground during landings.
In November, 1914, a special detachment of Avro 504s from the Royal Naval Air Service successfully bombed the Zeppelin fields at Friedrichshafen, Germany.
|Country of Manufacture||Great Britain|
|First Year of Service||1913|
|Wing Span||36.1 ft | 11 m|
|Length||29.5 ft | 9 m|
|Height||10.5 ft | 3.2 m|
|Weight||1799 lbs | 816 kg|
|Engine||Gnôme 9 cylinder air-cooled rotary engine, 100hp|
|Top Speed||82 mph | 132 km/h|
|Range||186 miles | 300 km|
|Armament||1 Lewis .303 machine gun, 80 lb (36 kg) of bombs|