The Farman F.40 was a joint design by the two Farman brothers, Maurice and Henri, combining features of the MF.11 and the HF.22. The rear engine, "pusher" configuration gave the gunner an open field of fire.
The F.40 was used as a fighter and light bomber. Its long wingspan made it stable but slow to maneuver and French squadrons began replacing it in 1916, although it continued to be used by allies throughout the war.
Portugal entered the war on the Entente side in 1916. Portuguese forces fought in France as well as in East Africa. This plane carries the markings of the Portuguese Esquadrilha Expedicionária a Moçambique, stationed in Mozambique.
|Country of Manufacture||France|
|First Year of Service||1915|
|Wing Span||57.75 ft | 17.6 m|
|Length||30.3 ft | 9.25 m|
|Height||12.75 ft | 3.9 m|
|Weight||2469 lbs | 1120 kg|
|Engine||Renault, V12 liquid cooled engine, 160hp|
|Top Speed||84 mph | 135 km/h|
|Range||200 miles | 320 km|
|Armament||1 Lewis .303 machine gun|