The Morane-Saulnier Type L was a two seat monoplane with a "parasol" wing, which made it excellent for reconnaissance. A single wing was mounted above the fuselage giving the occupants an unobstructed view of the ground.
In 1913 the German company Pfalz FlugzeugWerke began building planes under license from Morane-Saulnier. When the war began, they continued production under the Pfalz name. Three different versions of the type L were built with different sized engines. A few were fitted with synchronized Spandau machine guns.
Pfalz "A" series aircraft were used for reconnaissance early in the war, and later for training.
|Country of Manufacture||France|
|First Year of Service||1913|
|Wing Span||36.8 ft | 11.2 m|
|Length||22.5 ft | 6.9 m|
|Height||12.9 ft | 3.9 m|
|Weight||1441 lbs | 655 kg|
|Engine||Oberursel 7 cylinder, air-cooled, rotary engine, 80hp|
|Top Speed||71.5 mph | 115 km/h|
|Range||180 miles | 288 km|
|Armament||1 machine gun|
|Crew||1 or 2|