The Phönix D.III was an improved version of the D.II which appeared in 1917. The D.III had a more powerful engine and ailerons on both wings which gave it the power and manueverability its predecessor lacked.
Austro-Hungarian pilots found the Phönix D.III to be a sturdy and dependable airplane which could handle steep dives. Armed with two Schwazlose machine guns, it was an excellent fighter. Several of these planes were purchased by Sweden after the war and were in service well into the 1920's.
This plane carries the markings of the Austro-Hungarian Naval Air Service.
|Country of Manufacture||Austria-Hungary|
|First Year of Service||1918|
|Wing Span||32 ft | 9.8 m|
|Length||21 ft 8 in | 6.62 m|
|Height||9 ft 10 in | 3.01 m|
|Weight||2092 lbs | 951 kg|
|Engine||Hiero, 6 cylinder inline, liquid cooled engine, 230hp|
|Top Speed||115 mph | 185 km/h|
|Range||230 miles | 370 km|
|Armament||2 Schwarzlose 8mm machine guns|