Designed by Igor Sikorsky as a bomber escort, the S-16 was the first Russian-built aircraft with a synchronized machine gun. The plane was small and highly maneuverable, but had a smaller engine than intended and was outclassed by German aircraft of the time.
The dual axle landing gear was designed for landings on rough ground and could be replaced with skis for landing on mud or snow. Several versions of the S-16 were produced with slight variations in engines and wing configurations. Some two seat models were produced and used as trainers.
This plane carries the markings of the Eskadra Vozdushnykh Korablei (Squadron of Air Ships), the world's first strategic bomber group.
|Country of Manufacture||Russia|
|First Year of Service||1915|
|Wing Span||27.5 ft | 8.4 m|
|Length||20.3 ft | 6.2 m|
|Height||9.1 ft | 2.8 m|
|Weight||1490 lbs | 676 kg|
|Engine||Gnome 7 cylinder, air-cooled, rotary engine, 80 hp|
|Top Speed||75 mph | 120 km/h|
|Armament||1 Lavrov 7.7mm machine gun|